Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fish cakes for tea. Writing

"Wakey,wakey.

Come on Don,wake up love.
You're falling out your chair,silly boy.
Let's straighten you up.
Wipe that dribble shall I.
That's it,fishcakes for tea.
You like them don't you,all mashed up."

Fishcakes.
I'll give you bloody fishcakes.
I used to be sombody,me.
Look at me now, can't talk, have to be flippen fed, shit meself...God, what happened to me.
I was a bit of a lad,I was;got about a bit.
Ha,that's a laugh,got about a bit:I was all over the place.

Cor me and old Chalky White,he was a boy.Killed himself on Sturry Hill,straight through Dr Mac's wall he went.
They said it was instant,I don't know...
Ton-up boys eh.
I'll make a ton I reckon,don't know how old I am now though;bugger this...DAMN,DAMN!

Look at that photo,that's me that is,in me battle dress;just signed up,green as grass I was.Good looking though.
Clark Gable type I was.
Now look,I've wet myself again.
Where are you mum,you wouldn't give me fishcakes would yer.
Bugger I miss her,she's the one I should of married.
Don't even know if I am married.
Do I have kids...I don't know...hope I told em that I love them.

She was a girl she was.
Having it off we were.
What was her name,old Smiffys wife,what was she called...Molly,that's it,good old Molly.
She liked a laugh she did.
Old man didn't like it though;read me the riot act on that one he did:old bastard.

My dad hated me.Said I was a no-good,just cause he was a R.S.M.
Got me stripes though; that showed him.
Suez,Aden,where was it...can't remember.
I can See his face though;bloody kid. I didn't know see, the noise, the smoke.
God I was scared!
Forgot my training,that's all...short bursts tap,tap,tap.
What did I do...sprayed the bloody place,first one in see...I didn't mean it,all the noise,yelling,screaming...bloody kids face...haunts me he does.
Shit,I was only a kid myself.
What did the Captain say.

"Good job sargeant.Can't be helped old chap.Move on."

Stood on a toy on the way out,I was so scared.

"Sit up Don,tea's nearly ready.Phew,had an accident have you?
Come on,don't cry,you're a big boy now.
Let me wipe those tears,that's it.
Chin up old man."

Chin up,alright for you.
Can't get nothing up no more.
When will this end.
Who's she.
Who she waving at,don't know her.
Must be a new girl.
Wonder what class she's in.
Might see her later in the playground...or behind the bike shed.

Used to be a bit of a lad me.

I'll shut me eyes,that always works,think I'm asleep they do.

"Shut that row up Molly.
All that caterwauling,it's enough to wake the dead.

Don.
Don,wake up Don.
Got your tea,fishcakes love.

Don.

Sister.
Sister bring the trolly,old Dons popped off.

STOP THAT,BLOODY SCREAMING MOLLY!


RIP Dad.





The said piece "Fish cakes for Tea" Was written by Kevin Gallivan and has been registered as such.



Said tale is in regard of my Fathers death,last year.
It is supposed to convey the feelings/emotions of Dementia

Sad to see a truly gentle man regrees to an angry/bitter child.

No comments:

Post a Comment